Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

In with a Lamb and Out with the Lion . . .

Just so you know, I'm starting the third year of editing Years of Stone and getting very, very close to publishing.

Source: Wikipedia

Oh, cowardly writer! Writing and editing Standing Stones, the first in the MacDonnell series, took about three years. Since writing Book 2, Years of Stone,  some things have changed. I may need as much as 2 or 3 months to revise Standing Stones (the ship doesn't sink the same way or in the same locale in SS as it does in YOS). The timing may be off historically by a half-year or so. I don't know how much will need to be changed until I really look, but I'm afraid to look to see how much work remains. I feel like the cowardly Lion (and that's the second reference to the Wizard this week!). 

Here comes Kristen Lamb to the rescue. In straight, writerly  advice she says IF you follow her suggestions, you can avoid being one of those writers who agonizes over every word (that would be me), every plot hole, every mistake in concept or execution, every failure of imagination. These writers take years to publish, and they may have other wonderful stories to tell.  

  1. Know the story problem. Be able to tell the story in 2-3 sentences. If you know where the story's going, you don't have to wallow in plot holes. 
  2. Know the character arc. If you know how and why your hero/heroine will change by the end of the story, you will know instantly when he or she says or does something out of character.
  3. R-TUTE! Resist the urge to edit. Finish the story. 

Since I WANT to move on, her post rang bells for me. 

Read her article, "Writing is Best When We Get Out Of Our Own Way" at Kristen Lamb's Blog

And that brings me to my goal. All I've read suggests that you build both audience and sales more if you offer more than one book for buyers. MY GOAL: Publish Standing Stones and Years of Stone THIS year. 

Write on!

If you would like to know when Standing Stones and Years of Stone are published, click here to send me an e-mail at bluebethley@yahoo.com



2 comments:

  1. That is such a great goal.

    I would love to know when you publish your books. I'm at work and it won't send from my gmail account - don't know what's up with that.

    JaileenQ@gmail.com

    I can totally identify with the whole cowardly lion thing.

    Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jai. Day by day the progress seems slow, but I will persevere! Thank YOU for signing up!

    ReplyDelete