Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, October 31, 2013

October 31: Summer unfinished . . .

Why does summer feel unfinished,
unfinished until the last leaves fall,
fall into winter's coldest nights,
nights without regret, promising endings,
endings that lead to beginnings,
beginnings that bring hope,
hope in this little baby's tiny fingers,
fingers that will seize life and tremble,
tremble with joy before she's finished,
finished with false endings,
endings that mark a beginning,
beginning what we do not know.

Finch Arboretum (Camp, October 2013)

Today's the very last day of OctPoWriMo, that celebration of a poem a day, a challenge that has been fun, taken us all in many different directions, now done. Today, we're asked to write about endings and beginnings. We may use a loop poem, which uses a curious repetition for a different rhythm, the ending word of each line begins the next. Read what others have written at OctPoWriMo.

What's next here in November? A series on creativity, perhaps the release of Standing Stones toward the ending of November and the beginning of December. And perhaps updates on another challenge -- NaNoWrMo (National Novel Writing Month). Are you a NaNo rebel?

5 comments:

  1. beginning what we do not know

    Nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how this flows, and I'm also having the same feeling about summer. That transition was way too fast! But I adore fall.

    And I'm so glad I was able to read your poetry here! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "nights without regret, promising endings," This one struck me. Another lovely and though-full poem, Beth. Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Lovely use of the loop poem structure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for reading my poems this month. This has been a heartening experience as I rarely write poetry -- except for these challenges! I'll be visiting you all and hope your own writing continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete